Song of The Week: Kali Uchis' "Speed"



 

Back To The Elements will start highlighting a song of the week every Saturday. It is the perfect way to share more fantastic songs that I love with you and show my appreciation for the song and for the artist. So without further ado, to kick things off I have to go with Kali Uchis' "Speed" off her amazing "Por Vida" mixtape.

Without getting too deep into the details around this, this song has been my life for almost a year now. Kali Uchis' vocals and Tyler, The Creator's beat that I can only describe as 'pink cocaine': beautiful, highly addictive, and dangerous. Tyler's bridge on "Speed" is so important. I know T takes pride in his bridge's and I see why. This sh*t is magical! The bridge alone makes my imagination flourish. I picture nothing but a world where a 1980's BMW M3 is the car to have, there's rainbows, unicorns, salmon colored skies, the aforementioned pink cocaine (but now as mountains), while Kali Uchis and Tyler, The Creator act as this world's Adam & Eve. Weird, I know, but that's where the music takes me. And I'll always love and appreciate the hell out of "Speed" for being a creative crutch if I need it, or helping me escape, for simply being a fantastic piece of music. And this is just what this song does for me. "Speed" could make you see absolutely nothing and you just like it, that's the beauty of art. The production and Kali Uchis' alluringly addictive 80's soul-pop sounding vocals - pure art. Kali Uchis is art. Tyler, The Creator is art. What the music made me see -  yep, you guessed it, art. So, listen to "Speed" and interrupt how you please. Enjoy.

Listen to my song of the week "Speed" below.

Lead Photo Cred: saintheron.com/karencivil.com
               

Comments

  1. I really like Kali Uchi's vocal style. I recently got the "Por Vida" mixtape and "Isolation" and found this song. This song is my favorite it's great! I agree with everything you said as it gives me similar vibes! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment