Travi$ Scott's "Impossible" Still Warps the Impossible to a Finger's Length Away

Rodeo (Expanded Edition) by Travis Scott on Spotify

As Travi$ Scott wishes he could do the impossible, I'm on the outside looking in through my wonderment tinted lens at what his Rodeo track makes me think about myself. As Scott's Impossible dawns heavily on my mind I think about the geniuses behind the murky constructs of the song's production. I think about everyone Travis Scott connected with to make Impossible possible, from the god Mike Dean to the ubiquitous Allen Ritter mapping out the production. And in my mind, a song with Mike Dean alone is already doing the impossible. Mike Dean's production is practically a cosign that you are somebody musically. And musically this joint speaks to me.

You never know how music will hit you. And I would have never guessed a song (according to genius) is Travis solely talking about a girl he fools around with always ready to be there for him, making him a better man and doing everything he needs at his very whim, would put me at the apex of my creative threshold -- but it satisfyingly does so.

Right from the jump with the instrumental the music sounds like it's transitioning, which in turn puts me through my own transition. The opening misty-chimed tones with this backspin effect applied to it makes it sound like the noise is traveling into a void of nothingness. The very melody puts me out of body. Then Travis Scott starts singing his first verse, and it isn't so much the lyrics that warps my reality, it's the pure sonics of Scott's voice. Travis is completely auto-tuned near the point of sounding like a human dark synth and the way he sounds, the way the final word in his lines trails off into a slight slur puts me into his inner late night thoughts and feelings. It personally puts me in that same late night space where my mind is in a constant race while my thoughts process in tandem with the drop of Dean and Ritter's dense bass synth creeping through the track, punchy plop and burst drums (with a unique existence in speakers) rushing in mid-verse letting me know about the dark corners of this space as well as the light moments to flourish. Mike Dean and Allen Ritter made this beat a beast. It's hard to decipher where a synth starts and a drum ends. The cohesiveness of the beat is amazing. This thing is mixed to perfection. But the magic truly hasn't happened until the hook comes in.

Travis Scott's hook is the loudest part of Impossible with the most to say as it concerns me. Travis' repeating line "Nights like this, nights like this, I wish I could do the impossible" is what plays so strongly on my creativity. The night is when I have my energy. At night is when I think about everything I want to do in my lifetime and this hook pushes me to unconsciously get up and make or explore it without a true care or regard for thinking it out. And with the weird digital spaceship soundboard beeping, that gorgeously haunting chord progression and stake rising screech of violins all looking in the direction to the twilight zone, it makes me feel like I might as well shoot there too.

Travis Scott's Impossible is a special song to me. It didn't start out as a favorite from Rodeo. But it quickly ended up there. Impossible makes the impossible feel possible. Travis, Mike Dean and Allen Ritter deserve a big thank you for this song and I for one happily give it to them. For people that look at and appreciate the technical and personal sides of music as much as possible, this is still a treat.

Listen to Impossible below.

Lead Photo Cred: spotify.com

Video Cred: youtube.com

                           

Comments