Masterpiece of the Week: Bon Iver - "Woods"





I listen to a lot of music -- through all that music, I find a plethora of songs I like, with a great many being songs that I love. But there are those very special moments when I find brilliant music. I listen to music that is engineered to last the test of time and that I can enjoy and relate to, no matter what stage of life I'm in. As I approached Song of Week, I had to think on a genius level musically. And if we are talking genius level, then we are talking Bon Iver's fantastic 2009 EP Blood Bank, and of course to Blood Bank's chef-d'Ĺ“uvre, Woods.

I have been listening to Woods non-stop lately, only alternating my routine with Kanye West x Bon Iver's bloody breathtaking Lost In The World as well (that I incidentally picked because of that Woods sample worked in Ye's cut). But let me not digress from this gorgeous piece of work. Bon Iver's Woods is genius level because of its pure sound. There are no instruments, there are no programmed beats -- it is purely layers of vocals from singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist Justin Vernon. And in each layer I am able to discover a new sound. Justin Vernon's voice becomes the instrument, his use of auto-tune helps in building the track's feeling of seclusion. His specific vibratos shake my bones with the frigid breaths that roll off every last word and note he hits. It's amazing. It's unforgettable. It's truly an experience.

I feel every space of this song. Woods isolates me into my own space of creativity where the possibilities are endless and time ceases to exist, yet passes me by. Justin Vernon's lyrics are poetic. I find an extreme beauty in them. The way the same words of "I'm up in the woods, I'm down on my mind/I'm building a still, to slow down time" is the only lyrics but sung differently with slight cadence changes, more passion, more tension or a drastic change in pitch is remarkable. At times Justin Vernon's voice hits a low sound that parallels a Didgeridoo and chants. It is absolutely beautiful music. I find a certain depth in it that sounds amazing. Bon Iver's Woods is like an awakening for me. I see sunsets when I listen to this song. I think about the beginning of life when I hear it. I get completely wrapped up in the music. I voyage through my thoughts and find the beauty in my ideas through the artsy vocals and structure. The end of this song damn near has me on the edge of my seat because of how momentous the atmosphere of the song becomes. And I appreciate every fiber of it.

Woods is brilliant. This is the song I want to hear as I watch my first born come into the world. Woods is the song I need to hear once it's my time to leave the world. It warrants a huge thank you to Bon Iver, to Justin Vernon for what was created. Woods is my mic drop on Song of Week because sharing this with those who haven't heard it I truly believe is a gift. This is a piece of art that needs to be savored. I wouldn't even begin to know how to follow-up a song like this.

Discover Woods below.

Lead Photo Creds: pinterest.com/independent.co.uk

                

Comments