Saying Goodbye To The Starman, David Bowie










 tumblr_nhuxa68O5x1qaetdco1_500

I am deeply saddened by the news of David Bowie's passing. My mother introduced me to David Bowie's music at a very early age, so his music has been with me my entire life, which makes this news of his death freakishly surreal. I, along with so many, viewed Bowie as a preeminent musician: creative, innovative, and mindblowing. The astounding catalog of Pop, Glam Rock, Art Rock, and Progressive Rock music he left behind will be wowing our kids, their kids and their grand-kids. I'm proud that I existed at the same time this bohemian caliber of a star lived. And I'm just glad he has the beautiful mindset of leaving behind something that the world can forever enjoy long after he has passed on.

Now, feeling extremely shocked as I do, it's hard for me to find the words to try to even summarize one percent of such a legendary career, but as we all know, David Bowie was on another planet. And that planet was Mars, and on that planet he gave us "Life On Mars", as well as his current album "Blackstar", "John, I'm Only Dancing", "Modern Love", "Starman" and of course Bowie and Nile Rodgers' undeniably great "Let's Dance". These tracks offer a sampler's plate of my favorite songs from Bowie, but you only need a small taste to know how phenomenal of an artist he was. Clearly, it's all fantastic instrumentation and vocals, but David still took me to space with him rather handily, with the aforementioned songs serving as my main modes of transport. I thought of being at a late 70's, early 80's prom in a gym fully decked out like it was in "Pretty in Pink" or "Sixteen Candles". His music evokes that time, along with those movies (some of my favorites), injecting pure glam. David Bowie's legacy stretches way past music as well. He is a bonafide fashion icon, as well. People wouldn't be pushing fashion boundaries if it wasn't for David Bowie. This whole Jaden Smith wearing skirts, or how Young Thug dresses, or guys wearing make-up is nothing new, at least not to me. Bowie was a main enforcer in starting the entire unorthodox dressing, make-up covered, clothing is genderless wave. So he may not be a direct inspiration for the Jaden's of the world, but Bowie is definitely an indirect catalyst for what I'd say is the largest fashion barrier to ever be broken. And I have to show my love and appreciation for that.

I'm still having trouble collecting my thoughts on this entire situation. This article is so raw and in the spur of the moment. I just couldn't go on without expressing how much I love David Bowie's music, and honor his life and career. But an article by anyone could never do that. I will never be able to tell you about the magical weirdness his music has, or the pioneering things that took place in his life and throughout his illustrious career, and that's fine. I truly don't want to do that. All I want is to show my love, appreciation, and revisit the magical weirdness David Bowie created with everything he did. And I'm dying to get back to my David Bowie music binge so it can take me to the deepest, most endless parts of the universe. I hope those who do the same will have as unforgettable a trip as I will have.

Rest on Mars to the starman waiting in the sky. David Bowie.

Listen to a few of my favorite David Bowie songs below.

Photo Creds: vam.ac.uck/vrworld.com/thrillist.com/elmoremagazine.com/backstyle.net

Gif Cred: thejournal.ie/the work of Helen Green

                

Comments