Dave East Rips The Weeknd's "Tell Your Friends" With His (EASTMIX)



Dave East is one of the dopest artists out here and how good he is can't be ignored. He's so good that he made his way into a family discussion about music my family and I had on Thanksgiving. That's how impactful his music has been. We had people from different generations all agreeing that Dave East is someone you should be listening to and his cover of The Weeknd's "Tell Your Friends" more than proves that.

The cover that was just dropped yesterday is by far my favorite. I even like it more than Kanye's cover. Dave East wastes no time with his verse. He jumps right into it by recollecting on personal events in his life. There's a sweet rawness to it that doesn't seem fraudulent for a second. Dave East engages in gritty storytelling and imagery that eventually reveals the man and the MC that he is today. It was a dope ride listening to these events and summing up all it led to. I believe that's what gave this remix the sprinkles of the 90's era of hip hop. Not in sound, but in the entire street tale aspect of it. The remix is something Nas or Big would appreciate, if you know what I mean. And I respect the hell out of that. This remix of "Tell Your Friends" is really good, plain and simple. Yes, it's only a glimpse of true Dave East bars, but that says a lot. I'm beyond excited to hear what's down the road. Until I find out, this will be on repeat.

Listen to "Tell Your Friends" (EASTMIX) and the original below.

Lead Photo Cred: hotnewhiphop.com

Video Cred: youtube.com

       

   

Comments