Young Thug's Latest Freestyle Exposes His Weaknesses



In the wake of everything concerning Young Thug I kept seeing this freestyle by Thugger floating around on Twitter yesterday and I was hoping it was old, but it was actually a live freestyle Thug spit off top on a French morning show within the past week. And it's terrible.

I used to think that Young Thug's music was garbage. "Lifestyle" (I know it's Rich Gang as a collective) is still one of the worst songs I've ever heard and most of his mixtapes I've slept on. I wasn't even feeling "Barter 6" that much. It wasn't until a few of the songs leading up to "Slime Season", "Slime Season" and of course "Slime Season 2" that I really started to understand the appeal in his music and develop the ear to like it. Well now, with this freestyle I completely understood why I stayed clear of his music. He sounds like he's making nothing but noises and when you decipher through that and get to what can be understood it doesn't have a consistent rhyme. Usually Young Thug's rapping and singing is a lot clearer but this reverts back to the "Lifestyle" days. I think Thug's true strength and enjoyment comes from his hooks, so not having one exposed his lack of bars. His inventive flows are there, as they always are, but what he says isn't catchy or wows me so everything just misses. I don't think I wanna hear another freestyle from Young Thug. It's clear that freestyling isn't his lane, and the Atlanta rapper shouldn't stray from what he knows. His latest projects and single tracks stay well within his lane and as a result have been his best work yet. So, I'll stick with those.

Check out the freestyle below.

Lead Photo Cred: allhiphop.com 

       

Comments