G Herbo Shines Bright with his Mixtape "BLIK"



When it comes to Drill or anything that exists within that same realm, I've never genuinely enjoyed the sound nor am I familiar with it, nor do I pretend to be. It wasn't until Lil Durk's "Remember My Name" that I started to warm up to this sub-genre. Fast forward from that to G Herbo's (A.K.A. Lil Herb's) latest project "BLIK" (Ballin' Like I'm Kobe) and I'm left with the most unexpectedly good project of the year.

G Herbo's highly sought-after mixtape on the surface might sound like a certain lifestyle is being glorified, but that's not the case. Herbo makes sure to include his deep-rooted concern for the state of Chicago in his songs. By exemplifying his own story with his experiences, pain, and knowledge he's picked up to steer people down a less destructive path. The formula of his songs on "BLIK" are very straightforward to me. Herb does a little reflecting on his life from different periods in time, connecting with the listener by exposing the adversity he has faced to show that anything can be overcome so ultimately you work towards the only thing that matters - getting that bread. He does this very well and manages to keep it sounding fresh track after track by adding something extra: from paying homage to some of the homies who have died, being arrested or relating what his mom means to him and what he'll do for her. Tracks like "Bricks & Mansions" and "Pain" (ft. Sonta & J Tsunami) both encompass all those elements. Herbo raps about his experience on the street slingin' drugs and coming from nothing to get that rarity of a second chance to rise above it all, absconding from going to prison or getting killed. Those are two songs that really stood out to me. Each track is pretty message driven but the vulnerability he offered and desperation to snap people into reality in both songs speaks volumes.

From the production side, "BLIK" is great. DJ L produced a good six songs out of sixteen, and the rest of the tracks were handled in rotation with C-Sick, DP Beats, and Southside, just to name a few. I thought each beat worked in tandem with G Herbo's ability to bring his story and where he is from to life. The beats are massive and tough so it gives "BLIK" a true sense of realism. In other words, this tape has authenticity. The Mind, Lil Bibby and Lil Durk contribute their perspectives to the project but it still works with Herb's story since they know what's up via their own experiences. Bringing everything full circle makes this a very cohesive body of work that contains many things to discover within the music and the story.

Herb definitely surprised me with this project. I wasn't expecting it to be so good and that I would love it as much as I do. I love that each song is real, has positivity, is reflective, goal driven and can still be bangers. "BLIK" gave me a new found respect for Herb, Bibby, Durk and Drill music as a whole. I'm undeniably a fan of it all now.

Check out the mixtape in full below.

Lead Photo Cred: cinematicmusicgroup.com

                               

Comments