Young Thug's "Slime Season" is Weirdly Good & Enjoyable




I am starting to truly understand the allure when it comes to Young Thug's music. After completely removing myself from my lyrical state of mind, I really sat with "Slime Season". I genuinely enjoy and appreciate "Slime Season" for what it is.

Thugger's long-awaited mixtape has an innumerable amount of sounds but none of them conflict. He used a wide range of producers, from Ricky Racks and Metro Boomin to London On Da Track and Allen Ritter (just to name a few). I think having so many producers of course upped the production but contributed in amplifying Young Thug's plethora of flows. Truly no song sounds the same, whether it be "No Way" (my favorite) where Thugger oscillates between rapping and lending his vocals for the hook or "Power" where he fuses singing and rapping all at once to fit his more murmured-sounding flow. It all has a likable weirdness to it that stays consistent throughout the tape. Sonically it just makes me wanna bop my head. His verses have their moments of amusing wordplay but the true pleasure in "Slime Season" comes from the production and catchiness of the hooks for me and that's okay. It's like with "Best Friend"; the repetitiveness makes it memorable and the hook is just sing along catchy. It all equates to knowing what not to look for and what to look for in Young Thug's music. If you come to it looking for the right things, it's incredibly enjoyable.

A very interesting aspect to this mixtape were the features. He had Quavo, Young Ralph, PeeWee Longway and interestingly enough, Lil Wayne. I personally could have done without the features. I didn't feel that they added anything to the songs and I personally couldn't differ between Wayne and Thug on "Take Kare". Even without Lil Wayne, "Take Kare" still would have been one of the few boring tracks on the mixtape, so it's a whatever thing. Focusing on the big picture though, "Slime Season" is a good mixtape that I do like. Young Thug definitely has me intrigued because of this. I'll be watching him more closely, especially after he said Kendrick Lamar and J. Cole were the influences for his next album. With his flows and Thugger possibly on a more conscious wave, the hip-hop realm could really be shaken up. We can only wait and see.

Check out the full mixtape below.

Lead Photo Cred: spin.com
    


          

Comments