The Weekly Players Playlist: Ryan (Highlighting Stevie Wonder)

Follow me on Twitter: @ArmandTSparks

https://is2-ssl.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/SG-MQ-US-035-Image000001/v4/36/66/2f/36662f68-9925-769f-8878-a73ac1b95236/image/500x500cc.jpeg

Stevie Wonder is the greatest artist, musician, songwriter and record producer who ever lived. I know we're dealing in the realm of music and within that realm, a permanent subjective few, but this view neighbors the facts so tightly it might as well move in with the icon and legend's 25 Grammys out of 74 nominations (he deserved to win all 74) and plaques that signify over 100 million records sold over a beautiful career spanning five decades. Those are facts that have been signed, sealed and delivered straight to the history books.

For once in our lives there was music with the ability to show up for everybody across all generations that we could turn to in monumental or private moments of mourning (see the ever so delicate "Rocket Love" guiding us through Nipsey Hussle's funeral following his assassination): "Then when I die, blue rag around my rifle/ Hundred thousand in my coffin, that's just life though/ Play a Stevie Wonder song, smoke some flight bro." Or, if you're like me, inevitably imaging the Stevie Wonder song(s) at your own funeral -- "They Won't Go When I Go" perhaps. Then in that same vein imagining the Stevie Wonder song at your wedding during your first dance -- "Ribbon In The Sky" for sure. And hey, please don't steal my idea like Laney stole the baby name "Shayla" from Charlotte in "Sex and the City."

Stevie Wonder and his timeless music have been there and will continue to be there to represent the most meaningful and trying moments of our lives. And as the universe would have it, when the world is still collecting itself from the untimely and heartrending news that Kobe Bryant, Gianna Bryant and seven other souls lost their lives last week, my friend Ryan's 20-song playlist "stevland" that I have been holding onto since the middle of January showed up for me. And maybe for you, too. From Stevie's albums like "Songs In The Key Of Life" (1976) and "Innervisions" (1973) to earlier works such as "My Cherie Amour" (1969) and "I Was Made To Love Her" (1967), this all Stevie Wonder playlist is just what the world needs now.

Lead Photo Cred: apple.com
                  

Comments