I'm Just Finding Out About J.I.D - "Never," Don't Continue to Sleep on This Cut

Follow me on Twitter: @ArmandTSparks

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-yANz2Qcrpu2d-0-t500x500.jpg

The instant I heard J.I.D's track, Never, I knew I had to champion the song. I was shocked the music moved underneath my radar for so long. And I knew I couldn't allow that to happen with any of you all.

His Christo x Childish Major-produced song sounds like two different rappers competing with their tracks.

The first half of the song has a murky atmosphere. Baleful horny keys hover over the entire production. A light spritz sound of 808s, a duffled kick and joint-popping bass has a sound of simplicity and minimalism for the track. It swims so well with J.I.D's rags to substantially better rags (teetering near riches) story-telling moments. The hungry forager hook tells it all. It's a chill walk of a song before the jump into a more vivrant cut.

Never truly catches fire once the beat change happens. It could just be me, but I pick up on this channeling of the master class MC/producer -- Q-Tip, in Never's production as well as in J.I.D's verses. The bounce in the drum break grows increasingly more rowdy. I'm truly reminded of Q-Tip's blueprint of producing. There's a pocket of relaxation, a pocket for breaking, a pocket for just bouncing with your people. Hearing the groove is funky, especially the tongue poking of a revving bassline. A true fly beat to say the least.

J.I.D's raps are cold. The rushing flow is smooth but the cadence is good and wonky. His reference game is nice. You'll get lines of wordplay or a double entendre, all working to boost his stock. He sounds like he's rapping during a robbery. Things sound very on the run. Never is such an engaging song. J.I.D, Christo and Childish Major made a fly track. I'm a fan of it all moving forward.

Listen to Never below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
                           

Comments