Stream Trayce Chapman's Project - "The Izm"

Follow me on Twitter: @ArmandTSparks

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000197707355-edk41w-t500x500.jpg

Concerning the select amount of artists I've heard coming from my home state of Colorado, Trayce Chapman is one of the few I legitimately like -- mainly due to the fact that he and Damien The Architect are succeeding at making deserving noise from established sounds.

I'm virtually a foreign listener to Trayce Chpman's music, but his new project The Izm is a dope peak into the mind as an introvert.

The 13-song tape runs like a conglomeration of energies that can be felt from rap's favored themes. Some tracks venture into being from the basement to the penthouse grind music. His song Fish Scale (prod. by Treezy) is an example of that. Chapman's cadence through my ears reminds me a bit of King Los. There is a certain chill in the flare of his voice when trying to prove himself. The production on this song reminds me of Glasses Malone's cut Thuggin'. Fish Scale's slick guitar sounds similar to Thuggin's proud chords and bassline. Both tracks sample West Coast legends as well: Thuggin' sampling Pac's words, Fish Scale sampling Snoop. I may be pulling at strings with my musical ear, but that is one energy The Izm evokes. There are also songs touching on cosmic content to R&B influences with down tempos. A highlight song, Drunk Driving (prod. by Flip,) samples Justin Bieber's All That Matters. And the featured artist Monica Andrews sings in similar melody to Kyle's Endless Summer Symphony. It creates a chaotic lust wreck that sounds very good.

Trayce Chapman references Nas to Dragonball Z throughout to make his world more accessible to us listeners. Trayce's overall flow sounds uncontrollable at a current chill, playing towards the dark corners of his mental, something very present on tracks like Laughing at Nothing (my favorite song thus far). The Izm is inspired work in a split production space for your headphones and a party. Simply trying to intro the tape for y'all was fun. A major energy you'll pick up on when you listen.

Listen to The Izm in full below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
                

Comments