A Can't Miss: Thelonious Martin - "Mama Got A Hold On Me"

Follow me on Twitter: @ArmandTSparks

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000193914206-ue0eu2-t500x500.jpg

I can't be pulled away from Childish Gambino's album Awaken, My Love! This album is my musical labyrinth tunneling into another era. They should have thrown it a Grammy nod despite a cut off date, f*** waiting for next year. Musically, Awaken, My Love! was untouched. The music is in a rare space today, you hear it and ask the scarce question, "Who and what is that?!" I truly believe there are only two people on this planet that feel stronger than me about this album, Questlove and Thelonious Martin.

Questlove made his love known on social media, and so did King Thelonious. Only Thelonious Martin took it a step further, re-working Me and Your Mama, a re-work almost flying completely over my head.

The dopest sh*t always makes its way back to me though.

Thelonious Martin's beat entitled Mama Got A Hold On Me is a cold piece of work. He spikes the pitch of Donald's already electric screaming vocals. Hearing the screech stretched that high plays to the fear in the sound of the original vocal performance with a little bit more excitement. The guitar chords tempo gets rocketed. Then Thelonious gives the track true means to live in speakers. The drums thrown on this joint are like a hollowed punch. The sound is a pop with an underlying crack. It's easy to find a head groove with power chords placed to his drums. His clocky kicks on the latter of the track dictates my head snap. King's bass takes a hold of the tempo, things slow down and the music begins to lightly fade out.

Mama Got A Hold On Me is a great re-work of an already amazing song. The sound he generates plays to a guitarist who discovered a Dilla kit. I enjoy it a ton. Mainly because you can hear the appreciation for the original work, and it makes me want to jump right back into Awaken, My Love! A notion I hope many of you will jump on board with.

Listen to Mama Got A Hold On Me below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
               

Comments