theWHOevers - "Penny Pinchin'" is a Track That Should be Heard

Follow me on Twitter: @ArmandTSparks

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000190841284-fb9l66-t500x500.jpg

Chicago births some amazing talent. It's no surprise, nor is it up for debate that Chi-Town took 2016 musically. And with my discovery of electric hip-hop duo theWHOevers (Llyod Dotdot & Je$$e) I've just gotta ask if things are remotely fair at this point?

theWHOevers' Penny Pinchin' is soaked in a little soul, dipped in a little funk. I guess this track is no stranger to being classified as Deep House, all I know is it's dumb good. So much so I feel it to the fibers of my feet.

Penny Pinchin' boldly opens with a cloudy looping chord progression that trades off different levels. It's a chill sound, but the accompaniment of their woody drum pockets and claps has a heady sound, yet a sly groove. Those chords sound mixing with Je$$e's drums get Penny Pinchin' ready to move off jump. Je$$e's verse is ready to move, too. His verse is right in the mix of the party. I thought he sounded in mid dance, locked in an intimate moment with his dance partner. His vocals work just like that bassline.

Dotdot's verse ushers in the feelings of the night becoming more raunchy. His vocals has a little bit more rapped sections, injecting just a tad bit more cool into the music. By the end of his verse, as the beat rides and steps out the club on its own accord, the night truly feels wrapped up. It's sweet.

And if my ears are correct, the outro of Penny Pinchin' is a rehearsal stage recorded instrumental of The Gap Band's Outstanding. Although not performed by the legendary group, that music is a treat for this music enthusiast's ears. Outstanding is on my list of all-time favorite songs, by far my favorite Gap Band song. So just hearing that in theWHOever's track solidified me as a fan. Real recognizes real. I dig what I hear.

Listen to Penny Pinchin' below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
         

Comments