The Cosmic Children - "Godspeed (Frank Reprise)" is Today's Cool Listen

Follow me on Twitter: @ArmandTSparks

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000188126321-9h4mse-t500x500.jpg 

Frank Ocean is phenomenal. He's a next level artist who's talent and creativity can't be called into question. Which is why I feel guilty for not being as deeply committed to listening to Blonde as I religiously was with Channel Orange and Nostalgia, ULTRA. I had sleepless nights waiting for Blonde, and yet I still revert to Monks (a masterpiece) then hit shuffle.

I may be a lost cause attached to old habits, habits that default to my CO familiarity over my love of Blonde. But The Cosmic Children's Godspeed (Frank Reprise) not only put me on game to a new dope producer, but elevated my Blonde excitement back to its peak.

Godspeed (Frank Reprise) is a very nice sounding remix. The Cosmic Children (a.k.a. Jolin Ras) made the track his own, while highlighting Frank Ocean's deeply passionate vocals. He stripped the tracks original tonal organ chord progression and added in high-pitched chimey keys. Then the remix drops in with a flattening bass. The actual rumple in the sound makes me visualize water jumping once rain has hit it. The Cosmic Children work in darting 808 percussion and echoing strings that veer off into nothing. The sound is cool. I personally pick up a confused energy from the music. Jolin Ras takes that energy to a different level.

Jolin Ras is too nice on sax. There is a buzz in his sound. The moments of vibrato is anticipation building. The overall tone of the sound is kind of sad. Ras' sax completes this rainy image. It now becomes looking through a rainy window because the notes grab hold of my emotions. It's very cool.

The Cosmic Children's Godspeed (Frank Reprise) is nice music. It's got me going back to the original with excitement. What more could I ask for in a remix?

Listen to Godspeed (Frank Reprise) below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com

Comments