GoldLink - "Rough Soul" ft. April George is the Funk Needed Today

Follow me on Twitter: @ArmandTSparks

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000184067732-m0khqu-t500x500.jpg

Damn, GoldLink's connection with April George on Kintaro's production for his new cut Rough Soul is something special.

I truly feel GoldLink doesn't get enough credit. I listen to his joint New Black and See I Miss at least once a day. New Black has deep meaning for me. His music is very good, to say the least. GoldLink's flow is like nothing out right now. He has this natural reggae rhythm and slur in his cadence. And what that vocal quality brings to Rough Soul is contorted to sound funky. But that couldn't be accomplished without Kintaro's production.

The very first sounds heard in this song are The Internet's keyboardist's phlegmatic chord progression. The keys channel this untypical tonal warp type of sound. The actual progression of it, the actual measured sound of the keyboard sits me in a monochromatic forest. The latter instrumental of an intensely groovin' tambourine and woodwind whistles gives Rough Soul this sonic examination in the world it's building for me. I am entranced with the sound. In my opinion, the introductory instrumentation in this song plays like Kintaro's stamp. It is his jumpin' bassline and funky snaps that awaken GoldLink and April George to do their thing.

GoldLink is killing this entire song. When he's spitting, I get caught up in the natural rhythm of his voice. It just adds to the love tale he's rapping about. As I listened to the song I noticed GoldLink has this happening demeanor in his raps. He brings his too cool attitude to life and it feeds the funk. He sounds like the man in this joint. I clearly visualized GoldLink making his sweet entrance into the scene through his self-descriptive lyrics.

April George's gorgeous hook overloads the groove. She sounds like she's pulling from the heart, but leading with the brain. Her vocals bring the moment of being done to the love story called Rough Soul. It sounds great.

Rough Soul is such a good song. I really like it. It does good music in the most sure fire way. It's a good instrumental and an adrift love concept. I completely dig it and I'm sure you will too.

Listen to Rough Soul below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
              

Comments