Colorado! Get to Know Your Local Artists: Introducing PG & Jamm

Follow me on Twitter: @ArmandTSparks



A few weeks ago, I had the window to sit down with local Colorado artists PG and Jamm. Through a small series of introductory questions, I tested the waters of getting acquainted with their music and them as artists. Take a look at a few excerpts from our sit down below:

Q: "Shall we start with introductions?"

PG: "I'm PG."

Jamm: "I'm Jamm."

Q: "Have you two always had roots and ties in hip hop?"

PG: "Growing up in Mississippi, hip hop was always there. I'd listen to a lot of different things and always have an interest in it, but once I moved to Colorado I really began to take it seriously."

Q: "Cool. I can definitely hear that southern influence in the music, especially in the bass of the instrumentals. There's a dirty sound there at times."

Q: "How about you, Jamm?"

Jamm: "I wouldn't say I have roots in it. I always liked it. I was always a real popular guy, played football in high school and would turn up or zone out to sh*t at parties."

Q: "So you would say mood music, or rather party atmosphere music was more of what you listened to?"

Jamm: "Yeah."

Q: "So you're looking to make music in the lanes of Lil Uzi Vert or Lil Yachty? Where it's all about energy and party setting?"

Jamm: "For me, I am, but more on the Uzi side of it."

Q: "I get you. Is that music what got you rapping?"

Jamm: "I was honestly just tired of being a pretty face, pretty eyes and nice hair."

Q: "That's funny. I feel that though. You're just looking to do more and be more. How about you?"

PG: "I was just into lyrics."

Q: "I can tell, in your song "L Word" throughout the verse I heard the word play with the Eminem/M&M line. There's also a natural bass in your voice that reminds me of Mick Jenkins. I'm not sure if you're familiar with his music?"

PG: "Nah. I'm not familiar with his stuff. But yeah, I'm always looking for somebody to get something out of what I'm rapping."

Q: "Now Jamm, do you handle the instrumentals or is that handled in house by someone else?"

Jamm: "The beats are handled in house by somewhere else. Sometimes we'll work to get some studio time."

Q: "Okay cool. Because in "L Word" the chimes and rings in the beat sounds very familiar to The Weeknd's Thursday, so I was wondering if it was a sample?"

Jamm: "It might be. I'll have to find out."

Q: "Interesting. Well lastly, I want to know -- what do you want people walking away with after they've listened to your music?"

PG: "I want people leaving with anything. Feeling better, thinking it was cool or just good. I want them to know my story and liking the music."

Jamm: "I just want people to feel good. I want my music to be what's making the ladies shake their ass and have fun."

Q: "Cool. Well, I can definitely hear the potential for both directions in the music. It was cool to sit and talk with you two."

PG: "Yeah. It was cool. Thanks for taking the time."

Jamm: "No doubt."

As you can see from our sit down, these are two Colorado rappers with two separate musical stances looking to appeal to a wide audience. I hear alright potential in the music. One brings a natural stage presence and needed energy while the other holds a weighted focus in the lyrics, content and the craft. Being from Colorado, I've never known of any rappers making waves out there. So only time will tell if we'll be seeing these guys in a bigger market.

Comments