Listen to the First "G.E.M.S" Single: Dyemond Lewis - "GroundWork"

Follow me on Twitter: @ArmandTSparks

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000178937087-jtauwj-t500x500.jpg

The first single from Dyemond Lewis' forthcoming project G.E.M.S, entitled GroundWork (prod. by Montage & Chris Rose,) dropped yesterday and it's a track you shouldn't take lightly.

GroundWork is a hard record that is relentless. Dyemond Lewis working in front of juddering production makes for a convincing sound. The early despair in the keys are in a soirée with the swirling arrangement of violin strings carrying a weight of loss to their sound. It makes me excited for the lyrical killing of fortitude, the killing of confidence in his competitors when Montage and Chris Rose's pecking kicks and sinking bass drop in. It's a dope lead in that already fuels Dyemond's long-lasting verses.

This Dyemond Lewis verse works its ass off, just like the lyrics say. His lyrics take GroundWork right to the tooth and nail chapter of his grind. Lewis' comparisons of work ethics show his determination. The line "I could of made it to Harvard, but I'm focusing on making a hard verse" plays on the sonics of homonyms and is just fun little wordplay I always get a kick out of. I find the effectiveness and most drive from these lyrics, that line specifically. They are words that state independence and demand respect. Things that I, and many, strive to get through their work on a daily basis.

And that's exactly how I left this dope cut, GroundWork, respecting Dyemond Lewis even more than I already do and asking how much more scrappy is G.E.M.S gonna get. I suppose we can only wait and see.

Listen to GroundWork below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
              

Comments