Axel Folie + Teddy Walton Scorch Kyle's "FOUNDBAE"

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000174047900-cr7xfe-t500x500.jpg

I'm a little late to Axel Folie + Teddy Walton's party that is the remix to Kyle's exquisite Smyle cut -- FOUNDBAE. This remix puts me through the same motions of every level of fantastical "dream girl" love. Only this time all the music makes me wanna do is attempt to move like Heavy D.

I've made it unequivocal that FOUNDBAE is my favorite song on Smyle, but this remix comes damn close to my love for the original. Axel Folie x Teddy Walton did just enough to this remix to make it their own. All the added samples of Japanese dialogue from various Anime speaks to the vibrantly retro pop culture beatific 80's fleshed world Kyle created through his steez. It's like they retained his identity in the remix and still managed an Emeril Lagasse "BAM!", infusing their own spiced style into the formula.

My brain made another musical connection: the opening prolonged key in this FOUNDBAE played off ear reminds me of a similar tonal region as the very first note heard and the very first key played from the organ in Just Wait from Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment's Surf. The levels are different -- in this FOUNDBAE re-work the key is held a lot longer. Axel Folie and Teddy Walton then allow FOUNDBAE to play in it's original cut before nuking in frenetic 808s and sick double kicked bass accompanied by kicks that smack with a lasting sting. Their rendition of FOUNDBAE is heat. It takes an already good song and makes it fresher, gaining another place to shine.

Their final section of the song I believe samples the baseline from Logic's Never Enough (that samples Crackredu 137 V3) truly gets this joint winding down in the most fitting way. Their triumphant sounding woodwind-esque electronic island keys makes it feel like something great, that something fun was accomplished here. And there certainly was. That shaking spray can noise mixing with the childlike giggle from a little girl with a huge secret makes me think of hopscotch or patty-cake play. I find a piece of being a kid again purely off of the perfectly placed soundbites and nuances of the music. There is a youthful vibe found in the closing section of Axel Folie + Teddy Walton's FOUNDBAE remix. These two need to tackle more Kyle songs because I need to hear more. Hopefully we can get a produced joint for Kyle from these two. Until then, this is my definitive wave.

Listen to FOUNDBAE Remix below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
                

Comments