Alex Szotak Made Another Bass Thingy Called "Bass Joint #2"

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000171919421-qgnog9-t500x500.jpg

To paraphrase Alex Szotak himself, "Hey, he made another bass thingy!" And oh, what a bass thingy it is.

Alex Szotak is such a cold bassist. His sound can easily live in a space of sorrow, happiness and unspoken introspection at the same time. Szotak's bass always makes me feel some kind of emotion that transports me to a plethora of settings. Bass Joint #2 is no exception. Playing Bass Joint #2 off ear, the opening E string thud already sits me front row in a smokey club. That one string (the entire song) is obviously live instrumentation, but it sounds to be played in real time. The music quality immerses me in the performance. Hearing the buzz from Alex's amp, hearing the sharp slides from bass chord to bass chord make Bass Joint #2 feel and sound like a moment that needs to be captured. The music is so raw sounding, and I love that. I want to see this song played live, and I want to take pictures of Alex Szotak playing. I want to write about the experience. 

Bass Joint #2 is so calming, it makes me feel like I am part of something really special. Alex's pluck-happy moments from chord to chord, resting chord and multiple strums moments, the impressive finger movement from fret to fret, backtracking over his own riff to layer in another to juxtapose the tempo and deepness of the thuds all help in making this sound like its drifting. I felt I was drifting with it. His bass showcases awesome amounts of movement. So does the shaker and the high frequency held down keys, along with the drum that bonks.

Bass Joint #2 feels good. The instrumentation sounds great. The technicalities of it (from what I could tell) are just as good. Alex Szotak is just a guy and his bass -- well, damn, what a team they are.

Listen to Bass Joint #2 below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
               

Comments