Domo Genesis - "Coming Back" ft. Mac Miller Makes Me Feel I Can Conquer Anything





When there is little activity of dope fresh-cooked music dropping daily, I always look to my oldies or music that's dropped in the past several months that I never got the pleasure (or displeasure) of writing about and listening to. And luckily my dailies have been exactly like that these past weeks. So naturally I hit shuffle on my playlist and waited for the music to hit me. And it's lead me to get fully appreciative over Domo Genesis' highly addictive song, Coming Back ft. Mac Miller off his album Genesis. An album which I highly recommend.

I love Coming Back. The sheer electricity of the track strikes me every time I listen to it. Do y'all know the feeling of desire to erupt into a cheer when the hero catches their second wind? That's exactly what this song feels like to me. And I believe it's all due to the sonic relationship Domo, Mac and producer Sap share here. First off, Sap's beat rides its very own wave. His fizzy sounding synths work like defibrillation pumping up the thwacking bass. That 'da boom boom bap' pattern the bass follows has so much fight in the sonics of it. Sap's bongo-like drums lightly popping at times opens up glimmers of light and so do the comforting, nearly nurturing vocals of "coming back" backing everything. It's all a real inspiring sound that puts me at ease. And that energy is what Domo feeds off of, and it's why his verses are so damn cold.

Domo Genesis' verses are meaningful. His flow is concrete. The flow of rhymes moves with the drums and adopts the punch that makes it all that much more impactful, in my opinion. Domo's opening lines, "It's a cold world baby, but I'm cold nigga/frostbite tryna take a chew of how I slither/my presence give em chills, like an Antarctica winter and I'm bangin' Inglewood till I'm getting caught with a splinter" is not only bars with a frigid metaphor and double entendre, they're words that I take the time to recite along with him because they offer me so much more than a reaction cause Domo genesis spits nice. Those words show me the determination in the raps, the skill with the pen, his willingness to climb and overcome situations and environment to always get up when he's fallen. Those first few lines in the verse already gives the entire song the attitude that makes me want to do the same. Those lines are the strongest reason why Coming Back feels like a hero answering his call. And I think that's dope.

Mac Miller's hook (hook #1) does the same thing with a little extra. Mac Miller's hook is catchy and I think shows the fun and chill after the work put in by the both of them. Mac Miller kills it with such ease because his hook is proving less is more. His "la la la's" hold the melody and it's mad easy to get lost in the music. I felt like I was having fun, willing to do whatever it takes to make it and I love that -- while Domo Genesis' (hook #2) rushes in a classic funk vibe which he sings with a flow that I believe follows the flow on the tail end of the hook on Outkast's Ms. Jackson, but hits my ear as sounding more closely aligned to the raw original opening chimes in The Brothers Johnson's Strawberry Letter 23. Which only adds to how much I love Coming Back because it tested my musical knowledge and made me reach back even further musically when the melody sparked that familiarity for me.

There's truly not much more to say about Domo Genesis' Coming Back. I love every corner of this song. What this song does on personal levels, the things this track does musically and gets into sonically needed to be appreciated. I had a feeling this song would move under a lot of radars so hopefully this puts Domo Genesis on your map.

Enjoy Coming Back below.

Lead Photo cred: soundcloud.com/genius.com
                        
  

Comments