blAck pARty's "You (Original Version)" is Still a Must Hear

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000135370844-m5c973-t500x500.jpg

blAck pARty's You (Original Version) was a pleasant surprise in a rather predicable SoundCloud musical space. I have no idea if this song is new or not, but I love it from start to finish. And of course I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share it with as many of y'all as I possibly can.

I clicked on blAck pARty's You thinking it was about to be another formulaic, mumbled flow track with a manufactured beat (stale use of 808s included). But no, blAck pARty came with something relatively fresh. You jumped right out at me. The spurty human ticking sounding 808s pumped some immediate life into the track. The softly alerting bells tread lightly on the surface of everything that I thought brings a feeling of curiosity to You. I started thinking about all the what ifs and how comes when I heard that section of the beat. Then in comes some real plucky chords speaking their own language on the track that gave You an entirely new band scope. The drums (my favorite part) are the type where you yell "KICK IT!" right before the drummer starts shedding on his kit. I heard these drums as extremely effervescent and it only added to the idea of the music having a full band sound. The snappy jumpiness of the hi-hat has a soda can popped open zest to the sound. And the bizzy deep synths have a dope, sluggish smoothness to them that comes with its own energy. It makes You that much more of a lively and charged song. There's a bit of funk fueling it all, along with a dash of pop rolling in the drums. I love it. You genre blends and blAck pARty's actual vocals is where the most awesome blend happens.

I love how pARty's vocals kick right along with that kit going to work. The double tracking technique catapults everything to a bigger sound. There's a live quality that his vocals produce. The specific way he drops off the final word in a gasp/whisper at the end of his lines (predominately in his hooks) reminds me of a Frank Ocean stylistic handbook. This is not a direct comparison to Frank, more to point out that blAck pARty keeps it his own enough that it comes off more like influenced rather than a straight jacking -- particularly because another song of his doesn't hold this sound at all. So it's all good.

You is definitely a real cool song. I'm eager to keep tracking blAck pARty's music and hear what else is out there. You all should be too.

Listen to You (Original Version) below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
 
               

Comments