Jerry Folk Styles in 80's Fashion on "I'm Honestly Not A Gangster"

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000162024486-v7dso6-t500x500.jpg

He's a Norwegian guy who likes music. That statement alone, as far as music is concerned, let's me know that Jerry Folk and I share a common ground. And that common ground is in plain view on his new song, I'm Honestly Not A Gangster.

I have an appreciation for I'm Honestly Not A Gangster. Jerry Folk's music stirs up the slickest visuals in my mind. The melodramatic intro beat is a very cool musical moment. The sounds bring rainy static, an echoing wood clave click (that teeters in metronome territory) and suspense building keys that have a choir in an open cathedral scope and sound to them. It is almost terrifying in a way, but I was intrigued with the song from the get go. Folk's vocals then snap right in and the beat change rushes quickly after, cuing the song's jump off. He projects this debonair attitude into the music, and the beat change matches this swimmingly.

Folk's voice sounds beyond a human. He comes off as this unbelievably cool humanoid and his lyrics are what makes him so fly. The way he sings about keeping his composure through any relationship strife, the way he describes his outfit, the way he's smelling and where he's going in such a chic fashion fuels his gangsta. The beat's pushing that agenda as well. His flashy drums step all over the track and infuse that natural head bop. Folk's 80's-style synthesizer keys and heavy chordy programmed synths wail and blare; they have a certain pizazz to them that put me in a white Lamborghini cruising through a neon-soaked tunnel. The music was that cool. His jumpy hi-hat and claps placed through the track are killer. The sounds really capture the shape of the 80's, in my opinion. There was something pleasingly raunchy about I'm honestly Not A Gangster, and I like it a lot. It's rightfully living in its own little Miami Vice-looking world. And it's hard not to get sucked into it.

Listen to I'm Not A Gangster below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
                       
   

Comments