New Music: Jesse Boykins III - "Losing You" (Prod. by Chrome Sparks)


https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000152872664-lhmg9i-t500x500.jpg

Jesse Boykins III's music should never be slept on. This guy has an amazing voice, and with his new joint Losing You (prod. by Chrome Sparks) the song hit my ears like a duet between artist and production, creating a theatrical experience.
 
That theatrical experience is why I love Losing You. This song is refreshing in production as well as in Jesse's vocals. There's a dope lost love element that I somehow heard and constructed as a visual story arc to the opening scene of Kanye West's full-length film Runaway where he's hauling ass down the road, only I've replaced Ye -- hence the theatrical spin. Jesse Boykins III's lyrics and Chrome Sparks' beat are guiding me to my lost love. It was very interesting. I believe Jesse sounds so isolated in his vocals, yet I heard small glimpses of hope that this person he's singing about will hear him and come back. The way it's sung sounds so urgent and fearful in regards to losing this person, making Losing You sting like an open wound. It was awesome and incredibly in tune with human emotions -- something I think Jesse Boykins III's vocals tap into very well, made stronger by Chrome Sparks' production. 

This instrumental is truly something else. The opening progression with that synthy static already brings a feeling of loss to the track. The Keys (possibly done on his JUNO-60) stargaze. The sound rings into an infinite space that's being egged on by the inspiring claps to keep going. It's a sweet sound that warms up the track. I thought it motivated Jesse Boykins' vocals to go and get the person he may lose instead of wishing he doesn't. And by the beat drop I pictured that he had her. I don't know if Chrome's drums were done through a program or with his gorgeous TR-707, but they conclude this song flawlessly. The echoed pop drums have this 80's drum vibe that remolds the ending of the song to fit an 80's movie love rejoice of the two main characters. It was perfect.

Jesse Boykins III and Chrome Sparks are some kind of team. They make good music that can turn their songs into movie sequences and bring me right into the heat of things. This is one artist producer team-up I can't wait to hear again. Until then, I'll be playing Losing You non-stop.

Listen to Losing You below.

Lead Photo Cred: soundcloud.com
             

Comments