Cameron Tries to Enlighten with "selfish (U are)"

https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000150979916-dp5h1o-t500x500.jpg

Cameron (formerly Cam $teez) has dropped a new joint and I think it's one of his best songs. You might have noticed I used the name Cam $teez in past articles, such as my piece on David Bonds' Red Adidas. But this is his first solo joint entitled selfish (U are) that I've gotten to and I like it a lot.

selfish (U are) opens in an interesting way. I heard this and thought the beat's focal point was the keys instead of the drums. The keys truly do it for me on this track. The bluesy glissando and regular single notes walked me into a dismal space. The drums and that kick knock as if they've been hurt and let down time and time again, only existing to one day come to a point where the hurt won't keep happening. It was dope and added to the blues element that exists on this track. Cameron's verses are where the song flips and becomes a song revealing more than one dimension.

Cameron's verses offer that proverbial light at the end of the tunnel. Cam spits with enlightenment in his mind when he's reminiscing on his experiences with hurt and struggle. But he attains a certain type of light in his heart that he's worked at keeping lit through all the ugly that shows up in the world or in people. Which is the message I feel he is hoping to spread with his listeners. And that's a dope message I can get down with. The only time that message gets jumbled is in his hook. The auto-tune on the hook was a bit unnecessary and overall mistimed. But given selfish (U are) isn't so hook heavy, the song still flows nicely and is effective.

This is one y'all should check out. It's always cool to pick up something up from music and I'm sure you will here with this one.

Listen to selfish (U are) below.
        


    

Comments