Song of the Week: "Jungle" By Drake





My Song of the Week this week came as a surprise to me. When it comes to Drake I'm about as casual towards his music as I can possibly be. I don't listen to a new album of his for all of five minutes, then label him the best like most kids do these days, or go berzerk over any new release from him. The last Drake album I counted down the days for was Take Care (a classic LP in my mind). Now I just think he's cool. I personally feel he hasn't been able to top that album, despite Take Care's follow up Nothing Was The Same and If You're Reading This It's Too Late being good albums. With that being said, there is one song off IYRTITL that I ended up loving about as much as every song on Take Care, and that's Jungle.

Jungle is a dope song. I find so much enjoyment in the simplicity of the entire song. Noah "40" Shebib's beat on the track slowly draws me in from the jump. Those down-tempo drums that hit twice with dawdling 808s between them, the lonely keys that sound like they ring into a pool of worries is all hypnotic for me. At that pace it just isolates my thoughts. I get wrapped up in my own mind. I picture myself locked in a room or art studio creating abstract art to capture the one that got away. Writing poems about the girl I'd be great with, but we never happened. Factor in Drake's soft, unsure tone, his strong addictive vocals about relationships and women as a whole and Jungle completely tapped into an emotional space for me that's actually pretty dope to explore every once in a while. I can recognize when a moment like this needs to be appreciated, and I definitely do. Drake and Noah Shebib killed it with Jungle. I've gotta thank them both for the music, and for taking me where they took me with the music. It was unforgettable. I hope Jungle is just as memorable for you guys.

Listen to Jungle x Watch the Jungle Short Film below.

Lead Photo Cred: rapbasement.com/thefader.com

Video Cred: youtube.com

                 

Comments