Revisiting Kanye West's "FACTS"





I've got so much built-up energy. Kanye West's Yeezy Season 3 fashion show/The Life Of Pablo listening party last night at Madison Square Garden was mind-blowing. The whole show in my opinion felt like Mount Olympus. The show channeled a godly, powerful energy. It didn't hit me until this morning, but that entire event was the biggest thing in culture for my generation. Not to mention The Life Of Pablo is fire. Ye kept his promises with this album. But that's a different article for a different day. I'm here to revisit Ye's FACTS, which was played after #TLOP went through its proper rotation.

When I first heard FACTS I hated it. I'll be the first to admit it. I thought it was Kanye's attempt at playing catch up to Drake by hopping on the latest musical trend in terms of flow, production (done by Metro Boomin), lyrical content, so on and so forth. But after hearing the song in the right context, within the proper atmosphere, I get it. FACTS had a visual aid to put the music in a more impactful space to exist in. Seeing all those musicians, celebrities and athletes locked in on what West had designed put the meat of the song in perspective. He no longer sounded like he was hopping on trends. He was being the futurist that he is by flipping a popular sound to show that I can do it better. And he does. Ye snaps with pure facts on this track. It's Ye being Ye. Truthful and flexing, exposing companies with a crude sharpness to it. And I wouldn't change a thing.

Also, I mess with the production now. Excluding Metro Boomin's drums, the beat isn't as one-dimensional as I thought. I'm positive it was the creative direction/sampling of Yeezus, but the way that Fathers Children's song Dirt and Grime is placed as the into and outro is dope. It's sampled in a way more towards the styling of how a DJ would sample something, instead of having a sample layered throughout the main beat as the backbone of the song. And that style of sampling is on many songs off The Life Of Pablo, so clearly FACTS was the warm-up to the album, the warm-up to Yeezy Season 3 that I wasn't ready for at the time. But I get it. FACTS still isn't one of my favorite songs from Kanye West, but I had to pay it the proper respect it deserves. I could never forgive myself for not being in my right frame of mind, knowing that someday I would leave this universe and negative energy about the song behind. I needed to express my new opinion, thank Kanye West for the music and being the extraordinary creative, the visionary artist and designer, and the GOAT that he is.

Revisit FACTS here.

Lead Photo Creds: soundcloud.com/billboard.com

          

Comments