Song of the Week: N*E*R*D's "Life As A Fish"



Okay, so, I missed song of the week yesterday. But, something about sharing another one of my personal favorites with you guys seems a lot more sweeter on a Sunday. And with this specific song I wouldn't expect myself to feel any other way on a day like today. So without further ado, this week's song: N*E*R*D's "Life As A Fish".

"Life As A Fish" is easily in my personal top five N*E*R*D songs. The opening strikes of the crash cymbol immediately blossoms the possibilities around me as it plans this real world narrative. The clam-like clinks of the castanets are in a dope 808 style, and the quick breaks that are thrown in with major emphasize on the snare immerse me in the vast ocean. It is a gorgeous blend of all these different percussion instruments that made me imagine that I am exploring this never-ending underwater world or the universe, observing the fish, the stars, colors and all the damage we've done to their ecosystem and our planet. That only gets exacerbated by Pharrell's hauntingly urgent and regretful way of singing about what we're doing on an environmental tip. Skateboard P also explores the creation of the universe, God, science, the start of man. Topics that I think about constantly and topics that I respect the hell out of N*E*R*D for starting a dialogue about. It is a dialogue that I want to help bring back up by sharing this magnificent song. There's so much to be gained by it, not only from a musical standpoint, but a global one. So, while you all soak up the very fantastic exploration atmosphere that's created by instrumentation, absorb that message as well. I did and I have a better understanding of both because of it. So, thank you Pharrell Williams, Chad Hugo and Shay Hayley for "Life As A Fish". It is amazing music and I, for one, still hear you loud and clear.

Listen to "Life As A Fish" below.

Lead Photo Cred: amazon.com

Video Cred: youtube.com

          

Comments