E.Grady x J'Von Give The Hip-Hop Heads a Treat With Their Track "Sunday.Service"

Embedded image permalink

Man, I think I just heard one of the freshest songs ever that's made me fall back in love with rap and the entire hip-hop way of life that I follow religiously. And it comes from someone who could possibly be an unknown to most of you, E.Grady. The new track from Grady entitled "Sunday.Service" features J'Von and it's a breath of fresh air.

The track starts out with a dope sped up, higher pitched sample of Jesse Powell's "Something In The Past" before classically sliding into some of the warmest drum breaks I've heard in a while. The way they knock is in such a coffee shop type of way: they are incredibly calming and free-spirited, and when accompanied by these lively soulful keys they create an even closer attachment between me and the song due to the beat's simplicity. I loved it. I immediately drew a mental picture of me relaxing by a fireplace, being reminded sonically of Quasimoto's (Madlib's) "Catchin' The Vibe", "Basic Instinct" and just the man in general. The way "Sunday.Service" is paced, how the scratches only applied to the voices and J'Von's caring flow and informative subject matter screamed Stones Throw Records to me, but still something all its own. I think it would be cool if these two made a song with anyone from that label, like MF DOOM, or if they worked in the use of a J Dilla beat or perhaps whipped something up with label creator DJ Peanut Butter Wolf (only if they're lucky). The way E.Grady ended "Sunday.Service" with the sample of Mookie and Pino's conversation from Spike Lee's "Do The Right Thing" (my favorite movie) about Minister Farrakhan's sermon on how the black man started civilization and will one day rule the earth as we did in the past creates a strong ode to blackness that the track adopts. Listening to it exacerbated my feelings of being proud of who I am and where I come from. The message alone is an important one, especially for our young black boys and girls. I love it.

"Sunday.Service" is a real hip-hop head's track. They'd appreciate the samples, the feelings the music creates, J'Von's flow, the beat and every other little element that went into this song. Because I know I did.

Listen to "Sunday.Service" below.

Lead Photo Cred: twitter.com

              

Comments