Doja Cat Warns All About Her With Her New Sounds "BLOCK ME"



Before I jump into the new song "BLOCK ME" that the lovely Doja Cat sprung on us this morning, I have to thank my friend Flapjack (not her real name) from high school for putting me on to her music. I fell in love with Doja Cat's voice immediately and haven't stopped listening to her since that day, so thank you. Now for this dope new track.

Straight up, I love this song. In my opinion, "BLOCK ME" sounded as if I was listening to Doja perform the song live, but I was listening to the performance through classic radio. The beat's soulful, 60's Rhythm & Blues chords and the reserved drum that sounded like a mix of  60's Rock 'n' Roll and modern Pop had me thinking of the Motown era. It made me want to move like Smokey Robinson & The Miracles moved, or how Al Green and groups like The Stylistics grooved on shows like Soul Train and American Bandstand back in the day. The pace and energy of the beat in "BLOCK ME" doesn't groove quite like the throwback music. The pace on this track is a lot slower and the energy's more cautious, but just on the sound alone I was transported to an era of music that means the world to me. Music that I've only seen videos or movies about. For this song to be able to accomplish this, I personally hold it in high regard.

And of course, there's still Doja Cat's vocals. Her vocals were beautifully villainous, alluring and caring. When she sings in "BLOCK ME" she's singing to someone and warning them about her. Almost as if nothing good can come from messing with her, which is where the villainous tip comes from. The warning in turn really shows how much she cares about whomever it is she's singing about. I loved it. She sounds like she's trying to distance herself from her emotions and from this person. I thought the tone she took on the track did a great job capturing her feeling of regret for telling this person to block her. It felt real, reminding me of similar situations in my life. I always appreciate those moments.

"BLOCK ME" genuinely speaks to me in a lot of different ways. I love it for that. If Doja Cat isn't an artist you've been listening to, you're gonna want to get on her music for the new year. You won't regret it.

Listen to "BLOCK ME" below.

Lead Photo Cred: konbini.com
                       

Comments