Charlotte Day Wilson's "After All" is Calmingly Free



I personally just found out about the singer/songwriter/guitarist Charlotte Day Wilson through froyo ma's silky "spent missing", and man, do I like her solo music. I have to share one of her latest songs "After All" with you guys. It's so calming, a little enchanting and it truly isolated my mind and soul in a dope way.

"After All" opens with pulsing drums that as they progress layer in some keys that to me sound like they were taken from a very private jam session done in an intimate recording studio. Something about the keys had a fun, close warmth to them, sounding as if they were purely created as a result of messing around, so it gives "After All" a freeing feeling as I listened to it. The song also has these plush hi-hats and lonely snaps that made Wilson's song sound airy. I imagined I was on a pinkish-grey cloud floating far away from my existing problems. By the time Charlotte Day's vocals came in is when I was transported to imagining watching someone perform an interpretive dance set to this song, then to a ballet set to this song. Her vocals took hold and led me on a unforgettable journey.

Said journey hit its peek in the final minute of the song. As Wilson sings with more passion about a difficult, rather strenuous situation or relationship, her voice goes up in pitch and is in tandem with the saxophone. They're both stronger and they hit home a lot more effectively. I was picturing myself  standing on water as bright red rose pedals fell from the sky. The sound of it all, conscience-freeing and lovely - just like the scene created in my mind. I can't tell you how much I love and appreciate this song for producing that kind of imagery. "After All" took me to the most artistic places, playing with my imagination sounding so good. There are elements about this song I didn't touch on that hopefully you will discover on your own journey as you listen. I just hope you enjoy this song as much as I did. Thank you for this Charlotte Day Wilson. You undoubtedly have a new fan.

Check out "After All" below.

Lead Photo Cred: blahblahblahscience.com
                     

Comments