Fetty Wap's Debut Album "Fetty Wap" Isn't Bad, Just Boring



For some unknown reason, I thought Fetty Wap's self-titled debut album would let me see a different side of him as a rapper. Maybe it's because I like him a lot outside of his music and I want to see him be great. I was hoping to find out that his music is more dynamic than what "Trap Queen" was. I was surely mistaken. To no surprise, Fetty Wap's LP "Fetty Wap" finds its success in the hooks in the most formulaic way on practically every track. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just not exciting.

Yes, the songs are catchy and are hits without a doubt, but those attributes end up being their only strengths. As a complete body of work the monotony comes through and it quickly becomes boring, which is unfortunate due to the length of "Fetty Wap". Featuring seventeen songs on the regular version and twenty songs on the deluxe, both are large bodies of work. If you aren't offering something different on every track, your inability to do more than one thing as an artist becomes evident very quickly. And I think that happened to Fetty here. If this album was cut down to at least fifteen songs on the original and eighteen on the deluxe, though still large, I would have enjoyed it a little better. The interesting factor could have been retained a lot easier working to Fetty Wap's advantage since I think he's limited as an artist. He did have songs like "Rewind" (feat. Monty) which was a nice change of pace. It was slower and he focused on singing instead of rapping. His verses are more or less forgettable because of the catchiness of his hooks so the singing balances things out. It made for a memorable love song from Fetty that I really like.

"Boomin" stood out to me, too. This track didn't rely too heavily on a hook so it stood out as the sore thumb of "Fetty Wap". It ended up being a cool song and one of the few I revisit off the album. The production on that track (and the album as a whole) is pretty good. The beats are fairly enjoyable so that's a plus. That being said, there are still many places this album could have been better. It wasn't that intricate so one listen through you get everything. And the version of "My Way" on the album didn't have Drake (which is widely deemed the better version) so not seeing it on the album was a let down. It's little things like that that could have brought the playback ability up and given "Fetty Wap" a pleasant freshness to things instead of just hearing him and Monty track after track sticking to one formula.

I'm skeptical that Fetty Wap has more to offer us in the future. His debut, although catchy, is boring. Catchy can only get you so far, so we'll see.

Listen to "My Way" (feat. Drake) below

Lead Photo Cred: xxlmag.com

Video Cred: youtube.com




                   

         

Comments