Jaden Smith's "Scarface" Video Gets Truthful About the Government

 

I'm not afraid to admit I've slept on Jaden Smith for quite some time now. His video for "Scarface" was released over a week ago, but I quickly learned that you can't rush anything coming from Jaden Smith.

After sitting with the video for a while, I've picked up some keen symbols in the visuals. The video opens up with Jaden momentarily sitting in a prison that's randomly opened up by an unknown figure. That clearly represents him being freed, although he truly isn't. He isn't free because throughout the video this unknown person in a hooded poncho (that symbolizes the Government) follows him as if they're watching him to see what he'll do with his new found freedom. Jaden Smith decides to enlighten the masses with his music and in any other way he can. The Government (hooded unknown man) doesn't like this which is why he slowly moves closer to Jaden as the video progresses.

Right at the end of the video Jaden Smith spits: The Government will not be killing me/No, The government will not be killing me. As he raps those lyrics, the man in the hood catches up to him and shoots Smith. The video is thought-provoking, which is what I love about it. And I had to watch it again. The visuals stay true to Smith's themes and beliefs that The Government isn't adverse to killing a figure that wants to equip the people with knowledge and that's exactly what's portrayed here in this video.

This is one of my more favorite songs and videos from Jaden Smith. I truly see the progress in his music. It's something I can start getting behind.

Watch the video for yourself below.




(Video Cred: YouTube.com) 



Comments