Denzel Curry's Double EP is Twice as Impressive

There is another Curry that people should be paying attention to. No, not Stephen Curry's brother or anyone in his family. I'm talking about Denzel Curry. The real life legendary Super Saiyan dropped his ultra hard double EP "32 Zel / Planet Shrooms" and shame on you if you slept on it.





When I heard Denzel Curry had a 2015 project coming out I already knew it was going to be heat. Denzel seriously never disappoints. I like going into new projects with no expectations, but due to his 2013 album "Nostalgic 64" I couldn't help but have them. I was hoping he would top N64 and he delivered. The "32 Ave Intro" just grabs you. The build up to the beat drop is the best part. Once the beat drops, it's an automatic head bopper. Denzel takes you into life in his hood.

Of course this EP is filled with many cartoon, anime, game and movie references. But there's more to Curry. If you fail to hear it in his lyrics, then you aren't listening. For me, Curry painted a more vivid picture of where he comes from more than he ever has. I think he really accomplishes this with songs like "Chief Forever".

The start of the second half of the EP "Past the Wudz Intro" gives me this Outkast vibe. Denzel is really shining lyrically from that point in the project. Curry's flow on "Underwater" is where I think he's the best he has ever been. Everything comes off so naturally to him on this song. Not to mention the subject matter here is exceptional. I agree with you too, Denzel. In my mind Jesus is black as well.

Denzel knows his identity and that is felt on this project. It is "Nostalgic 64's" successor and the guitar solo to close out everything (whether live instrumentation or not) is a nice touch. The only thing I'd change is "Ultimate". That song is still too short. Five to seven minutes would suffice.

Lead Photo Cred: vipermag.com

     

Comments